As our oceans continue to rise, it is more important now than ever before to begin crafting solutions for adaptation to this new normal, and SLSC is uniquely qualified to take on the challenge. Your contribution will help sea-level related research as well as accelerate social awareness and adaptation measures that serve regional, national and global communities.
Make A Difference, Invest in the Future
With your help, our interdisciplinary research and outreach can have a wider impact on South Florida and other at-risk coastal communities around the world.
Infrastructure & Technology
Your contribution will provide new facilities and the latest technology to support effective adaptation to sea level rise and preserve our governance systems, infrastructure, businesses, supply chains, ecosystem dependencies and citizen assets.
- $25M: SLSC Sustainable and Resilient Building to house Center operations and demonstrate the potential for adaptation and sustainable solutions in the face of sea level rise; AND SLSC Operational Capacity Development, including project facilities
- $5M: Naming the SLSC to develop an esteemed brand of solutions-based research; OR Capital Improvements to the SLSC Resiliency Program
- $100K: Vessel Funding for a Deck Boat and associated operations (including full-time captain) for experiential SLSC education and engagement
- $50K: Equipment to collect data that will facilitate adaptation for vulnerable local areas: (1) citizen science kits, (2) appropriate collection wear for outdoor sampling, (3) vehicles for research
Research & Faculty
Your support will bring in new researchers whose expertise will help to assess catastrophic impacts and craft solutions for adaptation.
- $5M: Cluster Hire to provide additional team members and complementary expertise to the Center
- $750K: Funding for Large Research Projects on (1) South Florida Sea Level Rise Impacts, (2) FIU Capital Improvements Resiliency Plan, (3) South Florida 22nd Century Resiliency Plan
- $500K: Eminent Scholar or Professor to bring visiting faculty or high-level research experts to work on sea level rise projects
- $250K: SLSC-ICAVE Decision Theatre Facility for researchers and experts to visualize complex data and craft solutions to complex problems, such as sea level rise
- $100K: Funding for the Rising Above Fellowship for postdoctoral students to conduct interdisciplinary research with SLSC faculty and experts
Training & Education
Your investment will support ongoing projects like sampling flood waters with citizens scientists, as well as develop new initiatives for students and the community.
- $1M: Faculty-Student FL SUS Universities Sea Level Solutions Challenge to engage FIU students and faculty in addressing and understanding sea level rise and connecting with other universities to promote partnerships across academic institutions, as well as to encourage proposal development on the topic of sea level rise (with teams including students and faculty from 3 or more FL SUS universities representing 3 or more disciplines/departments)
- $250K: Faculty-Student FIU Sea Level Solutions Challenge to encourage the FIU community to contribute to research about sea level rise, including developing teams of students and faculty representing 6 or more disciplines to submit competitive proposals for addressing sea level rise
- $50K: Sea Level Solutions Exchange to promote relevant discussions co-hosted with local government representatives, national and regional agencies, and SLSC that will be open to the University community and the general public
- $25K: SLSC Speaker Series to host prominent scientists and researchers to give topic-specific lectures and presentations to the Center’s audience and other interested individuals once or twice a month
Ways to Give
There are many ways to support the amazing work we do.
11200 SW 8th St, CASE 450
Miami, FL 33199
Leave Your Legacy
Make a difference that will last a lifetime. Endowed funds create a permanent impact and provide ongoing support for future discoveries and exploration.