South Florida, inclusive of Miami-Dade County (MDC), ranks as one of the world’s most vulnerable urban regions in terms of assets exposed to coastal flooding exacerbated by sea level rise and violent storms.
As an anchor institution in the community, Florida International University (FIU) has taken a leadership position to address the complex effects of sea level change through research, teaching, service and engagement. A university-wide approach and commitment, FIU is leveraging expertise available through local, regional, national, and global partners.
The Sea Level Solutions Center is a resource for everyone – scientists, educators, city planners, businesses, citizens – looking for the latest information on sea level related issues. It provides information and education to diverse audiences through a variety of multimedia platforms.
- Education and communication of climate change science
- Creation of government and industry frameworks for timely responses
- Research to establish a sound basis for adaptation and resource management plans
- Informed adaptation decisions and actions based on those decisions
- Long term evaluation and implementation of mitigation strategies