- This event has passed.
Webcast of Workshop: Reducing Climate Risk and Creating Economic Opportunity
April 28, 2016 @ 7:00 am - 12:35 pm
As part of a continuing series of workshops designed to advance implementation of the Southeast Florida Regional Climate Action Plan, this workshop is designed specifically for city managers, budget and finance managers, risk management professionals, planners as well as those concerned with the financial risk and economic opportunities for local governments due to climate change. See here for more information on the Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact’s website.
This half-day event will be webcast to the Wertheim Conservatory (WC-130) of FIU’s MMC campus, via this link: http://webcast.fiu.edu/startseflcw.php
The workshop is designed to educate through panel discussions, as well as provide an opportunity to interact with experts as well as connect with regional local government peers.
Attendees will hear keynotes and participate in discussions on the following topics:
- Planning for—and adapting to—the consequences of climate change.
- The evolution of the risk management field to account for climate risk and opportunities for public and private sectors to coordinate to capitalize on resilience investments.
- How risk mitigation translates to future economics
- Climate risk’s effect on various financial markets—how investments in risk mitigation relate to public and private financing.
- A major reworking of the FEMA flood program with profound implications for flood insurance requirements and affordability